Facebook killed my blog. I rarely post anything here anymore but still have a desire to write. You'll see some random thoughts and experiences here as well as the life lessons God uses to grow me up.
Thursday, March 24, 2005
Advice
So, I need some advice. I'm going to my dad's for Easter weekend. I think I'm going to ask him to come to the baptism...but I'm a little scared. For some reason, I think he'll flip or my step-mom will flip or something. My dad thinks we are a cult. My step-mom is a devout Catholic who also thinks I'm in a cult. This would be the perfect opportunity for them to see my church and witness this important event and decision in my life. I can't keep hiding it from them. Why DO I keep hiding it from them? I'm not sure how I should ask them both to come. I think I fear rejection but I won't let rejection stop me...I'm just a little nervous. Thoughts on how to bring this up?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
email me your cell #, my wife also came from a devout catholic background and her dad had grave reservations about her baptism.
Ok...knowing your situation and family pretty well...I say...ask him. He loves you and even if he is unsure about it, I think he would want to support whatever decision you've made. I also think you should talk to Steve...he usually has some good advice...or so I here ;p
I have to warn you...I'm teaching that weekend. Bwa Ha Ha.
Wow. You people are good. It is difficult to explain what I will be walking into on Sunday. My parents are fun people. I don't think you would know my step-mother is a devout Catholic unless you really knew her. Still, born again people freak her out. They are scary, weird, etc. I wish she could see just what Riv is all about. I wish I had a chance to show her all I have learned, how I have changed the way I conduct my life, how loving my church family is and that I belong.
My pops...well...how can I describe him....hmmmm...he is not Catholic. He isn't anything. He tells me he believes but I'm not sure of what. He believes in sports...beer...beer...having a good time...beer...sports...having a good time. That's the best I have to describe him.
Riv scares my parents. It scares dad and step-mom because they think it is like Mt. Hope church where people are waving their hands all over the place, screaming, speaking in tongues and rushing to the alter to be saved. They saw my sister go through this 15 years ago. They think I am repeating.
They don't nec. think Riv is a cult, but they have told me they think Joey is a cultist and that he brainwashed me. Some of this was said in jest but I know some truth lingers there. Joey laughed it off and said something that Trav really built on: a cult needs a leader and my leader is Jesus Christ...so I guess I am in a cult. I said that to my dad and he got "huffy" that I revealed what he had said as a joke.
I'll take a deep breath. I'll pray. I'll also be at church before the dinner so if you think of anything else between then and now, let me know. It will be okay (I keep telling myself). I have a lot more support elsewhere but I would still like theirs. I doubt they will be there, though.
Noel, just an FYI, A LOT of my pre-Christian friends and family will be coming that Sunday. They'll be driving from far and near to check all of this out. No pressure, of course (MAKE IT GOOD).
Thank you for your thoughts, well wishes, encouragement, and help.
Post a Comment