This is my favorite time of the year.
Lent is an exciting time, propelling us closer to spring. Warmer temps, more sunshine and the best part: rebirth. During these 40 days, nature slowly transforms itself into soft new colors, buds sprouting, tulips popping…from death to birth
Lent is a sad time, especially this year, though not compared to last year. The death Christ suffered for us moves me to no end. But we are also approaching the anniversaries of friends/family who have died.
Lent is a powerful time. We reflect on what God did for us and the sacrifice of our savior.
This weekend marks my two year anniversary, or birthday of the day I woke up, stood up, and paid attention by listening to what God was trying to tell me for so long, and following Him: my death to my birth. Over this season, I will be taking a look at a story…it’s about faith…its mine. I’ll share the journey I’ve traveled so far. Some of it is personal, but not too personal (those will be omitted).
And now, here are some things I’ve given up for Lent from high school thru last year:
Skittles
Swearing
Fast Food
Pop
Drinking
This year, I plan on giving up cheese...and shopping for myself. I’m also going to do the following:
Floss every night
Learn one thing about Jesus every day and journal it (maybe not here but in my Jesus journal).
Meet one new person at Riverview every Sunday.
Stop talking about Riverview.
Huh? Stop talking about Riverview? Yes, I think Riverview is my key to opening up dialogue with non-Christians. It is very easy to talk about my church. It opens the door to many interesting conversations. However, I want to talk about it less and talk about God more. Of course, if Riverview comes up or naturally works itself into a conversation, I’ll go for it. I just feel like I sometimes shove it down people’s throats, so I guess I’m giving up shoving Riverview down people’s throats.
Understand, I do all of this for fun. It has nothing to do with my salvation and I understand I’m not sacrificing to God. I do it because I’m hoping some of these changes will form into good habits. I’ll use Lent as the excuse.
1 comment:
Remember, I told you I once heard from a pastor during prayer that God should be in our hearts, not our throats. I guess you could look at Riverview that way also, if you think you're shoving it down people's throats.
Post a Comment