Friday, February 11, 2005

Gone Fishing

I read an article today entitled “When God Seems Distant.” The first line is “God is real, no matter how you feel.” Conclusion: We can’t turn God on and off. We can turn ourselves on and off but God remains.

The author of this book brought up something striking for a new Christian: sometimes God shuts up. He doesn’t go away but it feels like there’s nothing there. “When you are a baby Christian, God gives you a lot of confirming emotions and often answers the most immature, self-centered prayers—so you’ll know He exists.” I can agree with this. God has been on my speed dial for two years and I can’t believe the things I’ve been blessed with just by asking. He does the craziest little things and makes me KNOW it is Him.

The author went on to say how God will wean us of this excessive dependency on feelings. He wants us to grow, live in faith, and trust Him. “The most common mistake Christians make in worship is seeking an experience rather than seeking God. But seeking a feeling, even a feeling of closeness to Christ, is not worship.”

This was tough for me to read let alone understand, but I see what the author is saying. We should not base our relationship with God on feelings alone—we need to base it on faith because the feelings will leave us. We will go through periods of “dryness” or a rut. “Yes, God wants you to sense his presence, but he’s more concerned that you trust him than that you feel him.”

The author gave tips on what to do when it feels like God's gone fishing, especially at the worst times in your life: "How do you keep your eyes on Jesus when they’re full of tears?”
*Tell Him how you feel, just as Job did. “God can handle your doubt, anger, fear, grief, confusion, and questions.” This author states that admitting your hopelessness can be a statement of faith.
*Focus on who God is:
Good, loving (I first thought this said good-looking), all-powerful, in control, knows everything about us, and will save us.

*Trust God to keep His promises, even if we don’t see the result for 50 years.
*Remember what He did for you.

Even if God never does anything for you again, remember that He gave us His son. “That alone is worthy of your continual thanks and praise. Never again should you wonder what you have to be thankful for.”

It is these times of absence when we mature, grow in our faith and learn to trust God when we don’t feel God. Is God with us right now? Yes. Do you feel Him? Do you need to? I like it when I can feel God, but I know that I won't always...and he'll still be there secretly urging me to grow to a new level.

I could also just be crazy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hmmm.... sounds like a really good book. In all of Job's difficult stuff - never once did God explain what he did (found in the 1st chapter). Why? Nobody knows. Bottom line: God is God. He does whatever He pleases.
Steve

Holly said...

The author also talked about David and the Psalms when David felt like God left him. Have you ever felt in a rut? Felt completely alone like God has better things to do? I understand there is a difference between feeling and knowing and that was what my confusing point was.

The Professor said...

Look up these two verses...they help me when I am in a rut. 1 John 5: 11-13 and 1 Corinthians 15: 1-7

Let me know what you think.