Driving into work this morning, the radio faithfully scanned for a good station. The word "died" shot through the speaker and into my ear. I hit the scan button to return to the station. "Did you know the song 'American Pie' is about Buddy Holly?" the disk jockey asked.
I rolled my eyes. Doesn't everyone know that?
Maybe not. After all, I had forgotten the day. How could I! Forgetting February 3 is like forgetting the day Laura Ingalls Wilder released Little House In The Big Woods. People don't just forget. By a small miracle, I was reminded.
I love Buddy Holly's music. It started when I was in 10th grade. After watching La Bamba, I was curious to know more about this guy who, through a stroke of bad luck, charted a plane that killed all three stars and the pilot. I studied Buddy, bought CDs, found a collection of his records...loved him.
He was so young when he died but had accomplished a great deal in such a short time. The Cricket's first hit "That'll Be The Day" wasn't released until 1957. Buddy was dead two short years later.
Here are some facts surrounding Buddy:
*Peggy Sue was written about Jerry Allison's girlfriend (and later ex-wife), NOT Buddy's girlfriend as some would have you believe.
*On "Everyday" the slapping sound you hear is Jerry Allison slapping his legs to the beat of the song. He was doing this during practice and Buddy like the sound so much, they added it in.
*On Peggy Sue, the drums get softer and louder as the engineer opens the door to the room Jerry Allison was in playing drums. Oh, technology...
*There is another song where Jerry Allison plays on a box top but I can't recall which song.
*The day Buddy Holly met Maria Elena in New York City, he took her to dinner and asked her to marry him. She said yes.
*Buddy didn't want to go out on tour but he was cash poor with a baby on the way. He left behind reels of music which were later finished and released.
*Buddy was tired of the bus breaking down so he chartered the plane for his two bandmates, Waylon Jennings and Tommy Allsup. Tommy gave his seat to the Big Bopper. Waylon flipped a quarter over his seat with Ritchie Valens. As the VH1 "Behind The Music" story goes, Buddy teased Waylon for foolishly staying behind. "I hope your bus breaks down," he yelled back to Jennings. "Yeah," Waylon yelled back, "well I hope your plane crashes."
My sister and I went to the place where Buddy played his last concert: The Surf Ball Room in Clear Lake, Iowa. We also trekked out to the site. Really sad. It is in the middle of a corn field (surprise). Three records engraved on a gold guitar.
Two of my friends, Errol and Blaine, are also huge Buddy fans. For the past 5 years, we've been trying to plan a trip to the Surf Ball room because they hold a Winter Dance Party this time every year. Its funny...we start talking about it in the summer but forget and then boom...its February 3rd. Part of the problem is that the place is in Iowa and who wants to travel to Iowa in the winter (or at all)? Too far of a drive. But it seems to creepy to fly. Anyway, I'm going to give those guys a call because next year, Feb. 3rd falls on a weekend so we are going!
1 comment:
"Part of the problem is that the place is in Iowa and who wants to travel to Iowa in the winter (or at all)?"
Oh wow. Iowa happens to be one my favorite states. You just don't get it, do you Hols? Sometime I'll tell ya about lots of cool spots in I-o-way.
:) Steve
Post a Comment