Thursday, February 03, 2005

Back in the day...

I went to the Holt vs. Grand Ledge dual meet last night at Holt High School. This was the first dual meet I'd attended since my graduation some...Um...10 years ago.... It was a different experience hanging with the crowd because my place was either at the head scoring table or the bench with the team. The fans around me could attest to this fact: I got a little carried away at times. No more than anyone else but....you would have thought I was the team mother.

"Pick the ankle! Bring up the head! Look at the lights! Squeeeeezzzze! Pin him!"

I had yelled at Joey earlier because he was coaching all of the kids under his breath (a little distracting when I was trying to plan my moves). Once Joey started shouting, I was convinced the wrestlers could only hear the two of us. They needed us.

The bright moments were few and in the beginning of the meet. A Holt kid was winning by one point. There were 5 seconds left. The GL kid was trying for a takedown. Simultaneously, as the clock buzzed...the ref gave the GL kid two points for a takedown. The GL kid went nutso, yelling, screaming, jumping for joy, showing off his muscles to the crowd...the poor Holt kid hung his head in shame. But wait! The scorekeeper disputed the call! The ref confered with her. She insisted that the time was up before the ref called the two points! The ref reversed the call and Holt wins the match!!!! Yay!!!!! The Holt kid starts yelling, screaming, jumping for joy...while the GL kid goes nutso, yelling, sreaming, cursing. But hey, if the daughter of Holt's head wrestling coach says the time was up, the time was up.

I had a lot of fun even though Holt got killed. Some things change. I also got to watch the kids wrestle under the light. That is so cool. The kids don't run out to "Buddy you're a boy make a big noise, Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day, You got mud on yo' face, You big disgrace, Kickin' your can all over the place..." That used to get the crowd and the team going. It's probably considered un-sportsman-like now or something. Booooooo....

Also wanted to mention that I went to Monika's son's basketball game before the wrestling meet. Monika was there with all three boys. They love her so much. I stood in awe of the way she communicates and handles their personalities because all three are so different. Zehlin, who is almost 9, came running off the court after his game. He gave Monika a big kiss and gently rubbed the top of her head. "Good game, brov-a" Griffin tried to tell him. Joey had to pull me out of there because my eyes were welling up. I hope I'm that close with my kids.

1 comment:

The Professor said...

I actually didn't have to pull you outta there...Just had to club you a few times...then drag your incapcitated body to the car...while the children watched in horror and screamed.