Monday, January 10, 2005

Project KMM

There was this girl…she was 14-years-old. I was 11-years-old. She was the coolest person I had ever met. I wanted to be just like her. After knowing her for 7 months, she died of a brain tumor. She went fast. She went young. She left behind so many people.

On March 3, it will be 17 years since Kim died. I lost touch with her sister and her father, but last year, I found Howard again. I was sad to learn he has two pictures of his daughter. Just two. This is where I step in.

My cousin and I put a DVD together of my Grandma. It is beautiful. It occurred to me that Kim’s family should have one of Kim. I prayed. I asked God to help me with this project. In fact, I told him I wasn’t going to do it without him. So God opened doors.

I called Kim’s sister, Karen. She is a few months younger than I am and we hadn’t seen or spoken to each other in 15 years. At first, she was a little hesitant about me wanting to pull a memory video together, only because she didn’t quite understand. And then, the tears, the excitement, the appreciation.

I have my work cut out for me so I would appreciate prayers, though I know there are plenty of other things to pray about. Still, this is the first project I have done with God…I mean, the first one I have asked him to partner with me. I met with Karen on Saturday night and scanned in 52 pictures. We need more, though. Karen got on the phone to some people and has really put the wheels in motion. She is awesome and really, I love her involvement. This project is coming together.

My due date is Kim’s birthday 8/17. I hope to interview people, get their memories down but the goal is to not let the sun go down on Kim’s memory.

1 comment:

VRA said...

Holly, that is so cool. I personally know how well you did on my baby book in such a short period of time. If you put your time, energy and typical "Holly Passion" behind it then it will be awesome. What a great memento for Kim's family to have and hold on to forever!