Saturday, January 22, 2005

Phobia

I have this fear...it's kind of weird...so far you aren't surprised. I'll just say it. I'm afraid...of Baby Showers. Actually, I'm afraid of Bridal Showers, too. I don't know what it is but I attempted to analyze this fear to try to find the source and fix it.

This always starts the same. I get the e-mail: "Hey! I'm having a baby/bridal shower in X month! Do you think you can come?" Feelings of excitement, joy fill me and I write back, "Absolutely! Can't wait!" And then the invite comes. I look at the date, make a mental note, and leave it somewhere. Weeks go by. Occasionally, I'll think about the shower, know it is coming up, vow to get something off their list and then don't.

Flash forward to at least two days before the shower. I start panicking. I figure everything they wanted is already bought so I don't even look at the registry. I go to stores where I can buy more for less and spend hours mulling over what in the heck to get these people. Then the sweat, shaking, anxiety...now I'm trying to figure out an excuse not to go. I don't like to go. I don't like having my gift opened in front of a whole bunch of people oooooing and ahhhhhing. Or, my gift has already been purchased so it goes into the return pile and everyone laughs.

Ok, arm chair psychiatrists. What's my deal? Why don't I rush out and get the registry right away? Why don't I hardly ever look at the registry? Most of the time, I don't have a lot of money to spend and I always think more is better. I don't know. I think there are feelings of inadequacy floating around like my gift isn't good enough. See, I like shopping for people. I like getting them stuff they want and need. But I would much rather go out to dinner with this friend and quietly give them the gift. No games. No dog and pony show.

Does this mean I won't have a bridal or baby shower? Probably not :)

No comments: