My friend Monika just had her fourth baby. After three boys, she finally made a girl. Monika also celebrated her 26th birthday last week. Yowzer.
I met Monika when she was 14. She was so sweet...innocent...well, she had us all fooled about the innocence part. Still, she quickly became one of my closest friends. We managed Holt's wrestling team together and had a lot of fun. Except for the fact that she was always getting grounded.
I graduated and moved up to Mt. Pleasant but came back to hang out once in awhile. One of the funniest memories I have of Monika was when she took Kelly and I to a party during the summer of 1995. She kept talking this boy up, wanted one of us to date him because he was so nice. Kell and I were 19...this guy was like 23 or something. Way too old in our books. We met him and he had hair to his shoulders. Not our type. Good thing neither of us took Monika up on her match making deal because by September, Monika was pregnant with his baby.
I think she was 16 years old. Her dad got transferred to Indianapolis and took the whole family down there. When Monika was 6 or 7 months pregnant, she moved back to Mason and moved in with Lance and his parents. She had Zehlin in May and he was so beautiful. I was the proud aunt. Monika and Lance got married when she became pregnant again two years later. They bought a house in Leslie and brought Kanen home from the hospital. Three years later, they planned Griffin, but I had since lost track of Monika. I got really TO'd over something she did.
My sister kept tabs on Monika through Mason Urgent Care. Mon would ask about me but it took her until 2003 to finally ask Lyn for my phone number. She called and I was happy. She was living in Mason again and going through a divorce. Now, she wanted to experience the freedoms of being a teenager...but she wasn't one anymore and she had three little people calling her mom. Monika caved.
I lost track of her again. The last I heard was my sister telling me Monika was moving to Alabama. She met a guy and they were getting out of town. Monika was afraid to tell me because she thought I would be upset. I remember unleashing on my sister. Of course I was upset! How could she leave three little boys? How could she do this to them? They didn't ask to be born. They didn't ask to have a flaky mom. I was pretty unforgiving. I was very judgmental.
I went to Monika's parents who had moved to Leslie. Her dad told me about all the problems Monika was having when she lived in Mason. Money, drugs, fights...he was kind of happy she got out of town. But then...then the boys came to visit her parents on Christmas Day. Griffin, who was one and a half, ran to Monika's room, calling out to her. Zehlin, the oldest, went after him trying to explain that mommy wasn't here anymore. The story broke my heart. But it was January 2004, and I was in a different place. I started praying like crazy. I prayed for her life. I prayed for her boys. I prayed she would come back to them.
I heard Monika was back in town through a kid I graduated with. I immediately tried to find her and ended up leaving a note on her parent's door. The note said to have Monika call me because I wanted to talk to her and I loved her a lot. Monika found the note and called. I saw her the next day, which was the day before my grandma died. She was pregnant again but happy...amd sweet, which she really, genuinely is. I decided not to judge this situation though I know in my heart what I wish. I just want to be there for Monika and for her to know I love her unconditionally. She told me she came back because she couldn't stand to be away from the boys. She said she didn't call me because she felt ashamed. I told her to never worry about that. Never worry about me judging her for decisions she makes. I'll love her even if I don't agree. If everyone else turns on her, I will show her God's compassion.
Monika = a test of patience, faith, compassion
I get to see little Gillian Christian Burley tomorrow. I can't wait.
4 comments:
Tell Monika I said "hi" and wish her well! I haven't seen her since my Halloween party in 2000!
wow. you've got to introduce me to monika sometime. "We loved you so much that we were delighted to share with you not only the gospel of God but our lives as well, because you had become so dear to us" Paul, Silas and Timothy to the Greeks in Thessalonia
1 AD
Steve
holly. very cool story. i wish i was a friend like that more of the time.
Holly its really cool to see how God is growing you and how you are just choosing to follow him and loving people like this. It challenges me.
Post a Comment