I was talking to this friend of mine who is a new Christian, and he started saying some far out things to me.
Him: I like clothes.
Me: I do, too.
Him: I like to look good, get dressed up.
Me: So do I.
Him: I think it is important to look good in church, wear a suit and tie.
Me: Huh? You lost me.
Him: Well, I mean, it's respectful.
Me: To whom?
Him: To God.
Me: I'm lost again. Do you think God cares about what you wear? Do you think church is a fashion show?
Him: Well, no...but my pastor went to India and all these little kids showed up at the service dressed in their best clothes, without being told. Isn't that awesome?
Me: No. I'm so lost by what you are saying. God only cares about what is in your heart. Jesus didn't get dressed up. He wore sandels! I mean, you're scaring me here. Do you dress up for your bible study? Do you dress up when you are at home praying?
Him: I don't know, I just think it's respectful.
3 3/4 minutes later...
Him: I think you need to find a religion.
Me: What?! What are you talking about?!
Him: I think you need to take a stand or you'll fall for anything.
Me: Apprantly, you have. No, I'm sorry. I think you are confused, though, about a lot of things. I'm not saying I get it all the time, but when I don't get it, or feel like I'm wrong (or right) I go to the bible. I really think you ought to read the bible tonight.
Him: What part?
Me: The whole thing.
I was blown away by this conversation because then this baby Chrisitian went on to tell me I was closing too many doors by refusing to date a non-Christian, that I might be able to bring them to the Lord. Now, I know my views aren't the same as everyone else's views but really, come on. If you are a Christ follower, follow him! Still, I have to remind myself, that this person is adding things to God, which I do, too. Where I get a little confused is if I need to point these things out to him (which I really want to do) or do as Paul says--don't cause him to sin against himself the things he thinks are sins. Don't cause him to stumble but pray God's word will find him. I mean, God's word finds me all the time. It seeks me out and says, "Yo! Holly! You're soooo wrong about this!"
I know, I know....just another day in the life....
2 comments:
I think you hit the nail on the head when you stated "Follow Him". It is so easy to make God something he is not...sooo easy. To make up things God thinks are important because other people say they are...too many of us don't spend enough time reading about who God is...instead we paraphrase our own little version. Don't be concerned with expectations of people...rather be concerned about what God wants from us...to do that we must read the bible, pray, and spend time with others who do the same. The CHURCH is not a building...do we need to get dress up to go to a building?....we are the Church...the believing body of Christ.
Nothing wrong with getting dressed up...nothing wrong with not getting dressed up. You are definately right..God cares more about our hearts then if our belt matches our shoes and tie...or if our outfit is fine tailored!!
If you want to help your friend, pray for him. Give him verses (if he asks) that can help him understand. This may take some time on your part to dig into your Bible, asking others for help, and spending time praying. But I would suggest that you Pray for God to be his wisdom...and not other people to be his wisdom. For God to be his focus...not his clothes ;o) And for God to put other people in his life to help him be sharpened in his walk with Christ.
You are so smart, Mr. Corr. Thanks for your advice.
Post a Comment