Sunday, November 07, 2004

Kids

Today was my first day helping with Riv Kids. I was a little confused because I was a floater and I wasn't sure what that meant. So, I floated...around...and felt stupid...like what am I doing here? I greeted some first time Riv parents and tried to make them feel as comfortable as possible. I met a little boy and his little Cheetah, Patches. Patches, I found out, loves to do everything his owner likes to do...only a little messier. Very interesting. I think the best part about the whole thing, the part I liked the most, was the very idea which had scared me the most--working with a blind girl. I had been briefed on the situation ahead of time, had enough time to panic to Joey, calm down, and then I was thrown into the situation.

See, this little girl isn't exactly blind. She can see things up close. So it threw me off when her grandmother approached me in the singing room and asked if I would sit with her--Kaitlyn doesn't like the noise. This little girl took me by the hand, led me to the toys and said, "will you play with me?" It was so sweet...I couldn't help but love her immediately. We played with the Noah's Arc animals and then she said, "will you read me a book?" She grabbed a book from the shelf and sat down in my lap. I was stunned. She stayed by my side the whole time and I really learned how well she adapts. Better than I do in some situations.

The worst part of today was the fight I had to break up but I wasn't afraid. I felt right at home with Bradley and Lyndsay. I also noticed "the tone" people use to talk to children. It's like this fake nicey nice tone or this fake "I'm really interested in what you're saying" tone. I had to laugh because of course I do it, too, but I realized while driving Miss Lyndsay to Caesarland, I don't really use it on her much.

One funny little sidenote--Lyndsay and her brother were fighting the night before because apparently Brad had "pinky swore" his sister that he would play a Nintendo game with her. When he refused, the tears came pouring out. I walked into the room and told Lyndsay to quit crying. "But...he...pinky swore!"
"Lyndsay, in real life, there is no such thing as a pinky swear. Bradley, let your yes be yes and your no be no. Jesus said it. Look it up. Quit breaking your sister's heart." And then I left the room taking Lyndsay with me.
24 hours later....at Ceasarland
"Aunt Holly, I'll be back in 5 minutes to eat."
"Do you promise?"
"Yes, I pinky...I mean, my yes is yes and I'll be back."
And she was :)

No comments: