I was reading this the other day by Julie Link, a writer for Our Daily Bread:
Christians are to go beyond mere submission to governing authorities and follow the guidelines given in the Bible. In writing to Titus, Paul said we should also be peaceable and considerate, and we should do good without slandering anyone (3:1-2).
Paul stresses the importance of doing good: loving what is good (1:8), teaching what is good (2:3), doing what is good (2:7, 14; 3:1-2, 8, 14). Paul's letter is a timely reminder that as Christians we are to do what is good for people, regardless of whether we approve of their values and agree with their policies.
I was prepared to work, be a Christian, live my life pretty much the same had I woken up yesterday to John Kerry as my new president. I was prepared to do the same for George Bush. I am seeing SO much backlash about this election, though. Perhaps more than the 2000 debacle because it was dragged out for so long, people quit caring. This election was actually over in 28 hours or so. Kind of quick. I think the best part about all of this for me is nothing really changes. I think if we had a new president, my little life still wouldn't change. It only changes when things around me change or I change it. I know in other countries, people base their freedom on who is in charge. I still wake up the same.
Now, here is what is upsetting me a little. People are backlashing against Christian Fundamentalists. I was listening to a Detroit radio talk show (Dominski and Doyle) and every call was full of hate towards Christians. I'm not totally surprised but wow--people might hate Christianity even more. And am I considered a Christian Fundamentalist? I don't think I consider myself one so much but is that only because of the baggage that comes with that term? Do people view me as one? Am I Mandy Moore's character from Saved!???
Where do I draw my line in the sand. I don't want to push people away from Christ by being dogmatic about my beliefs but at the same time, should I vote based on my beliefs? I'm called to love what is good, teach what is good, and do what is good...was I supposed to vote no for Proposal 2? Even if I personally don't agree with Proposal 2? I could not make up my mind if proposal 2 was good or bad but I knew I personally don't agree...and now it is pushing people away from Christianity. I don't think there will ever be peace on this earth. I don't know that I want to be a people pleaser but I don't want to push people away either.
I'm sure my thoughts here were incomplete and choppy but I must go make a living now, in the same world I lived in last week...
No comments:
Post a Comment