http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/08/30/man.decapitated.ap/index.html
Wow. For all we hear about drunk driving it just doesn't stop. People think they can do things better after a few thousand drinks. The thing is, I've been there and I'll admit it. I'm so lucky, too. So was everyone on the road with me. What makes us all think we can take chances like that? To be so risky? I know how hokey it sounds but you can't help wonder about the whole plan. I mean, I'm out all the time, sometimes late at night. Why did those kids have to get hit on their way to eat pizza? Why couldn't the drunk dude hit a tree? What also confuses me is how everyone hates him so much. I've read things about people wanting to kill him. As a Christian, should I want to hate him? Should I want to kill him? I wonder what HIS life is like. I wonder how he is handling what happened. I wonder....does God love him, too?
My mom was hit by a drunk driver when she was pregnant with me. The police had to restrain her from going after him, screaming, "you could have killed my baby!" She was pretty upset. My mom also tried to save a police officer in the mid-80s. She was on her way home on Lansing road when two women flagged her down. My mom noticed the police car as she approached the women and they were screaming hysterically. The police officer had pulled over to change their tire. He had been hit by a drunk driver and the driver fled. My mom stayed with the police officer's body until help came. They gave her an award for it.
Through all of this you would think my mom might be bitter but I'll never forget the time, shortly after the police officer being killed, when my mom took a man into our home at 3:00 in the morning. We lived way out in the country in Charlotte. This drunk dude hit a deer in front of our house. He staggered to our front door and my mom let him in. We weren't coffee drinkers but she found something to sober him up. She stayed with him in the kitchen while Lee slept and us kids were scared out of our minds. I don't remember if she called the police or not but she took him in.
No one can be asked to forgive such a horrific accident. I do hope this guy from Mason gets the maximum sentence. Still, I'm not sure he should live the rest of his life being hated by people. Like Steve said, if you stay angry with people from your past, you are allowing them to control your present. I pray the families and friends of those killed in drunk driving accidents and other crimes at the hand of someone else, can eventually let go. Not now, but eventually.
No comments:
Post a Comment